MINUTES OF THE REGULAR MEETING
SLOAN-HENDRIX SCHOOL BOARD OF EDUCATION
The Sloan-Hendrix Board of Education met for the regular school board meeting in the District Administration Building, Monday, November 18, 2013, at 7:00 p.m. with all board members present for the meeting: Mr. Shane Dail, Mr. Preston Clark, Dr. Aaron Murphy, and Mr. Robert Stallings.
Mr. Robert Stallings, School Board President, called the meeting to order. Motion was made by Dr. Aaron Murphy and seconded by Mr. Shane Dail to approve the agenda. Motion carried four for and none against.
A motion was made by Mr. Preston Clark and seconded by Mr. Shane Dail to approve the minutes from the previous regular and special meetings. Motion carried four for and none against.
PUBLIC MEETING – FACILITIES 6-YEAR MASTER PLAN
Mr. Mitch Walton, Superintendent, was recognized by Mr. Robert Stallings, Board President, to conduct the public meeting for the Facilities 6-Year Master Plan. Mr. Walton provided a list of projects that will receive immediate consideration. This list includes construction of a new kitchen and expansion of the dining area of the cafeteria, “old gym” roof renovation, and construction of the new bus maintenance facility. Mr. Walton also spoke of several asphalt paving projects on the campus including the area on the south side of the Bill McCurley Gymnasium.
The next Facilities Partnership funding cycle (2015-2017) will include asking to construct ten new classrooms for the elementary school. A “saferoom” hallway will be included in the planning for this project. Approximately two-thirds of the construction would be paid with state partnership funds.
Several other smaller projects will be pursued as funding is available, including reroofing and renovation of the current elementary school building, building an agriculture barn, and reroofing the special education building.
1. Two individuals were present at the board meeting to express their interest for consideration of appointment to the vacant school board position. Donna Bartlett and Chris Jones introduced themselves to board members and stated the reasons for their desire to serve as a school board member.
· A motion was made by Mr. Shane Dail and seconded by Dr. Aaron Murphy to enter into executive session for discussion regarding selection of a new board member. Motion carried four for and none against.
· After returning to open session, a motion was made by Mr. Shane Dail and seconded by Dr. Aaron Murphy to appoint Mr. Chris Jones to Position 3 of the Sloan-Hendrix School Board. Motion carried four for and none against.
· The board expressed their appreciation to Mrs. Bartlett for her interest in serving the Sloan-Hendrix School District.
2. A motion was made by Mr. Preston Clark and seconded by Mr. Shane Dail to approve the financial statement and expenditures through October 31, 2013. Motion carried five for and none against.
3. A motion was made by Mr. Shane Dail and seconded by Dr. Aaron Murphy to approve “Freedom of Choice” applications for James Arnett and Aubrey Arnett from the Lawrence County School District (Black Rock) to the Sloan-Hendrix School District. Motion carried five for and none against.
4. A motion was made by Mr. Chris Jones and seconded by Mr. Preston Clark to approve the “Petition of Transfer of Student” for Wyatt McIntare and Hailey McIntare from the Sloan-Hendrix School District to the Hoxie School District. Motion carried five for and none against.
5. Mr. Walton informed the board about the Arkansas Department of Education On-Campus Standards Review which was conducted on Tuesday, November 12. Members of the visiting review team were very complimentary of the organized effort of those responsible for providing accurate data and information to expedite the standards review process. The Sloan-Hendrix School District is in compliance with all standards and policies included on the ADE Standards checklist.
6. A motion was made by Mr. Preston Clark and seconded by Mr. Chris Jones to approve the “Resolution for Local Support of 6-Year Master Plan & Partnership Program” which is facilitated through the Arkansas Department of Education Academic Facilities Division. Motion carried five for and none against.
7. Mr. Walton informed the board of the recent visit of Andy Hicks, Architect. Mr. Hicks and Mr. Walton met with representatives of Jonesboro Roofing Company on Friday, November 8, to discuss the “Old Gym” roofing project. Also, plans are being developed for the construction of a new kitchen for the cafeteria. Both of these projects will be constructed with the use of ADE Academic Facilities Partnership Funds. Mr. Walton also authorized Mr. Hicks to prepare bids for the new Bus Maintenance Building.
8. A motion was made by Dr. Aaron Murphy and seconded by Mr. Shane Dail, pending approval of Title VI funds by the Arkansas Department of Education, to employ Cameron Wilson as a computer tech assistant. Motion carried five for and none against.
9. A motion was made by Mr. Shane Dail and seconded by Mr. Preston Clark to provide an addendum to the contract of Terrie Ponder, for additional instructional time for a special needs student. Motion carried five for and none against.
10. Mr. Walton provided school board members with information about the new Public School Employee health insurance rates established by Employee Benefits Division (EBD) following the recent special session of the Arkansas General Assembly.
11. Mr. Walton provided the following information to school board members:
· Recognition was given to the Jr. Boys basketball team for winning the Bill McCurley Jr. High Tournament.
· Recognition was given to Breanna Gosha, Bailey Medley, and Kyle Murphy for their participation in the Ralph Joseph Youth Leadership Program.
· Enrollment through Friday, November 15 was 639 students.
· School board training will be provided by APSRC at the NEA Educational Cooperative on November 19 and December 3.
· Thanksgiving Holiday will be Wednesday, November 27 to Friday, November 29.
· Sloan-Hendrix senior high basketball teams will participate in the Williams Baptist Tournament which begins Saturday, November 30.
· The next regular school board meeting will be held Monday, December 16.
12. School Board members asked school administrators to investigate what would be necessary to initiate additional activities, both athletic and extracurricular, in order to allow for more student participation.
13. A motion to adjourn was made by Dr. Aaron Murphy and seconded by Mr. Shane Dail. Motion carried five for and none against.